Hi Guys ! I found this amazing vegan enchilada casserole recipe! It’s the perfect make ahead meal for busy weeknights or Sunday meal prep. This is such a healthy choice, vegan or none vegan. My family and I absolutely love it!
Now You Know It’s All About The Sauce!!!
Vegan Jalapeño Cream Sauce Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 2 cups
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 red onion roughly chopped
• 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
• 1 1/2 tsp cumin
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 jalapeño roughly chopped
• 8 oz vegan cream cheese
What I Do
1. Place your pan on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until onions begin to soften, maybe about 5-7 minutes stirring regularly.
2. Add jalapeño and cream cheese to the pan and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until you soften up the cream cheese and everything is combined.
3. Place the contents of the pan in a blender with some good old cilantro… yummmm!! Also add 1/4 cup of water. Pulse until combined. Be sure to taste, add additional water if needed to adjust seasoning to your liking! Pour into a bowl and place to the side or in the fridge until ready to use!
Lets Get This Casserole Started !!
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Servings 8 servings
- 1 recipe Jalapeño Cream Sauce separated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups green enchilada sauce separated
- 12 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings chopped cilantro, jalapeño slices
What I Do
- Lets heat that oven up to 350 degrees.
- Prepare Jalapeño Cream Sauce according to instructions and set aside until ready to use.
- I heat my olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Then add my onions, bell peppers, corn, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to the pan and lower heat to medium. Make sure you stir frequently, until veggies have begun to brown and are slightly softened; i’ll say a good 5-7 minutes.
- Remove your veggies from heat and add half of the jalapeño cream sauce to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add refried beans to a bowl with 2 tbsp. of water and stir to combine.*
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Layer 4 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, followed by half of the refried beans, half of the black beans and half of the veggies. Repeat those layers, beginning with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce! To finish it off, layer the 4 remaining tortillas on top, followed by the final 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Place that bad boy right in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, uncovered that is!
- Lets kick it up a notch and increase oven heat to broil, cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until top begins to brown.
- Remove that beautiful casserole from the oven and allow cooling for 10-15 minutes.
- Top casserole with jalapeño slices, and remaining jalapeño cream sauce and cilantro.
- Slice it up, serve and enjoy!!!
*This makes them easier to spread.
**If you plan on freezing for later: assemble casserole per instructions but do not bake. Allow cooling completely before covering and placing in the freezer. When ready to cook, add 45-60 minutes onto the normal cooking time.